Assistant News DirectorRequisition ID: 33209BR
Position Type: Full Time
Altice USA is one of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States. We are a subsidiary of Altice NV, a convergent global leader in telecom, content, media, entertainment and advertising founded in 2001 by entrepreneur Patrick Drahi. We are driven by a philosophy to always challenge ourselves. We question everything so that we can find the best way forward for our customers. And in a world where continuous innovation is the only way forward, we are redefining the vision we have for our customers, enterprises, advertisers - and our people.
News 12 Networks is the first, largest and most watched 24-hour local television news network in the country, with seven individual local news channels and five traffic and weather channels serving Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester, Hudson Valley, the Bronx, and Brooklyn.
News 12 The Bronx and Brooklyn is looking for a dynamic and innovative news leader. The ideal candidate will assist the News Director in execution of policies and vision for the channel. They will oversees daily news and weather coverage and works closely with Executive Producers on story selection and distribution. The Assistant News Director will be responsible for programming and editorial content, including, supervising, directing, scheduling and coordinating newsgathering and production of newscasts and distribution onto all interactive platforms including social media. They will also be responsible for hiring, developing and supervising staff. Will supervise all phases of production/programming, including graphic elements, and technical elements in coordination with operations staff as well as news gathering, including overseeing editorial content, and managing story assignments. Will supervise special programming, including elections and town meetings. Responsible to provide coaching, training, and performance reviews for staff. Will manage costs within budget, and assists with forecasts and financial planning. Responsible to supervise hiring of newsroom personnel as required and coordinate scheduling of staff. Will also coordinate computer usage with IS and troubleshoot issues that arise and work on special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
• 7 years’ experience in journalism, including 5 in television and 2 in news producing, or equivalent.
• Must have two years’ experience as an executive producer or other newsroom manager.
• Should have excellent organizational, multi-tasking, leadership, communication, motivational, and interpersonal skills.
• Should have superior news judgment, excellent coaching and training skills and strong team building skills.
• Must be able to supervise a large staff and to hire and develop excellent staff.
• Must also be able to work under pressure and have excellent knowledge of current events and history.
• Should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as required in a newsroom environment and competency in technical side of news production across all interactive platforms.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of journalism and television news, strong problem-solving ability and the ability to manage budgets.
• Flexible hours required including nights, weekends and holidays.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet and maintain a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.