Freelance News ReporterRequisition ID: 32740BR
Position Type: Temporary
News 12 Networks is the first, largest and most watched 24-hour local television news network in the country, with seven individual local news channels and five traffic and weather channels serving Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester, Hudson Valley, the Bronx, and Brooklyn.
News 12 Connecticut is seeking a freelance News Reporter to generate story ideas, gather information, and produce and present stories and other content for all platforms and in a manner that is clear, relevant and meaningful to news consumers. Ensure all content meets News 12 Network standards for journalistic integrity and production quality. Represent News 12 positively in the community in a courteous and professional manner. Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned. Respond to breaking news and other urgent newsroom situations as required. The freelance position is on-call as needed with fluctuating hours. Candidates must have a flexible schedule and be available to work various shifts with short notice at times.
• Highly effective on-air performance.
• Exceptional news judgment.
• Extensive knowledge of local and national current events, newsmakers, and issues.
• Knowledge of libel laws and ethical foundations of journalism.
• Ability to conduct in-depth research and pursue investigative stories effectively.
• Excellent news writing ability for all platforms including social media.
• Maintain professional personal appearance as defined by News 12 management.
• Proficiency in current and emerging newsgathering and production technologies.
• Extensive knowledge of news production techniques and demonstrated ability to develop engaging presentation.
• Consistently enhances stories by providing insight and perspective.
• Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately in high pressure situations.
• Developed anchoring or other specialized skills to enhance newsroom operation.
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any assigned shift.
• Demos are required. Must enter link to demo reel under "web address/ demo reel" field on contact info page.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintain a drug-free and smoke- free workplace.