Manager - Legal Operations
1 Court Square,
Long Island City, NY
Altice USA is a cutting-edge communications, media, and tech company. We connect people to what matters most to them; texting with friends, advertising that resonates, or binge watching their favorite show. Our differentiated approach centers around technologies that push the envelope and deliver the ultimate customer experience. We're building a workforce that attracts and retains the best talent, not only to meet the needs of our customers, but that also reflects the diverse communities we serve. We're not the only ones who have seen it; we've recently been recognized by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers as well as by the Human Rights Campaign, DiversityInc Magazine, and Cablefax for our diversity & inclusion program.
We are seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to join our legal team. The Legal Operations Manager will work closely with the general counsel, other members of the legal department and business stakeholders at all levels of the company. As the Legal Operations Manager, you will be key in creating processes and practices to improve the day-to-day efficiency and effectiveness of the legal team, facilitate change, control costs, manage vendor relationships, provide necessary reporting to the department as well as company finance teams and create and maintain accurate budgets. You must be able to adapt to changing priorities and business needs and must be proactive in identifying areas of need and generating action plans.
- Define, develop and implement the department's legal operations strategy and initiatives to support efficiency and effectiveness, and monitor the latest legal operations trends to continually enhance our legal organization
- Set specific goals and initiatives for the legal department and report on key operational and substantive metrics that will better inform decision-making, including matter and work product analyses
- Identify and implement legal department tools to streamline new or existing practices, manage design, rollout, and training for new systems, and generally oversee the legal department's technology strategy (including the selection, implementation, administration, and support of all technology resources related to matter and document management, content and knowledge management, e-billing management, contract management and related legal operations systems)
- Manage the overall relationship between vendors and the legal department, including onboarding new firms/vendors, invoice processing and coordinating payments.
- Administer the legal department's law firm management/e-billing system (currently Thomson Legal Tracker) handling day-to day matter creation, billing management, review of audit flags, intake and processing of expense accruals/estimates, reporting and analytics
- Assist in the negotiation of law firm rates or other fee schedules for outside counsel within parameters set by supervising attorneys, and maintain and update the department's comprehensive listing of approved rates
- Develop and enforce processes and policies to manage outside counsel usage and spend
- Develop accurate departmental budgets and manage the planning, tracking, expense analysis and forecasting functions
- Act as the lead legal department liaison with cross-functional teams including finance, accounting and various other business units regarding budgets, accruals, invoice reconciliation and payment processing
- Develop and implement internal process guidelines and templates, and optimize workflows within the legal department; and
- Handle other administrative matters as assigned from time to time.
- BA or BS required, MBA or JD preferred but not required
- 6+ years of experience with legal project operations and management in-house (additional experience at law firm preferred)
- Financial background with an eye for analytics, as well as the proven ability to work closely with finance and accounting departments
- Prior experience developing playbooks and policies
- Demonstrated ability to independently move projects forward by gaining the support needed from others while working in a cross-functional role
- Strong experience in developing, implementing, and using legal department technology solutions (including proficiency with Thomson Legal Tracker, our current law firm management solution)
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills; and
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage multiple deadlines
Altice USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Altice USA, Inc. collects personal information about its applicants for employment that may include personal identifiers, professional or employment related information, photos, education information and/or protected classifications under federal and state law. This information is collected for employment purposes, including identification, work authorization, FCRA-compliant background screening, human resource administration and compliance with federal, state and local law.
Requirements of this position include demonstration of either full vaccination status against COVID-19 or company-provided weekly COVID-19 testing.